This article was written by Sachin as a guest post regarding how to choose a good care home for your loved one. You can find out more information by clicking on the link at the end of this article.
There are times when you feel that choosing a good care home for your relative is probably the best choice. In some instances, this may be the best choice. But this is always a period of stress and distraught for your family. It is quite natural if with time, a person is unable to live his life independently and needs professional help to carry on. Most of the time, terminal illness or bad healths are the causes that you start looking for a good care home. It does not matter what the cause of the problems is. However, it is important to look for the best kind of care home so that your relative or you can live a good and peaceful life.
Types of Care Homes
- A residential care home
- A nursing care home
- A residential care home for the mentally ill
- A nursing care home for the mentally ill
Points To Remember While Looking For a Good Care Home
- You may start your search by looking on the Internet or perhaps asking your relatives or friends about some good options.
- After you have narrowed down some choice, you should start visiting these homes one by one. A good care or nursing home will give you a service guide. This guide will give you an idea about their philosophy and the services they would offer to your dearly ones. You should ensure that there is a good complaints policy.
- A copy of the quality report will also be available with the care home. Ask for it and read it thoroughly. This will give you an idea if the care home offers services at a desired standard.
- A good care or nursing home will also have a care plan for every individual. This way, your loved ones will be taken care of in the best possible way. You should also check the staff and see if they are dedicated towards their work. You should see if they are friendly and would be able to take care of your dear ones.
- Make sure that you get all the details about what’s included in the cost. There are some homes which include some services in the bill while others charge extra for it.
- In order to get a more realistic view of what the nursing home is about, just give a surprise visit. This way you won’t give them time to prepare and you can get a clear idea about how good the care home actually is.
Some things to notice during the surprise visit to care homes are as follows:
A warm welcome and hospitality
A clean but homely environment along with some privacy
No bad smell or unhygienic surroundings
Health of the inmates
A happy and positive atmosphere and day to day living
A good menu and a choice to eat whenever the person feels like
Bed times should be flexible
There should be range of activities to take part in
The staff should regularly interact with the inmates
Author: – Sachin is a social worker and a free lance writer who writes on different social issues including illiteracy, poverty, women welfare etc. He also runs his own NGO and care homes for elders.